Don’t judge a book by its cover — unless it’s an actual book.
Thank you, Coco J. Ginger, for bringing this image to my attention.
A book cover needs to hook readers and spark their curiosities before the first sentence is even read.
What makes a cover design scream “You can’t possibly leave without me”? Well, in my humble opinion, it should be . . .
- 1. Artistic and symbolic, but not too abstract and mysterious
- 2. The colors need to match the tone/mood of the story
- 3. The design speaks to the book’s genre
- 4. The font (typography) is awe-inspiring
- 5. The cover isn’t too busy
- 6. The character’s face isn’t the main focus, unless it’s designed to be symbolic or entwined with the environment.
- 7. There’s consistency (if it’s part of a series)
What makes a book cover grab your attention? Let me know in a comment below or respond with a new post that’s linked back to mine (you can add this badge).